Sunday, August 16, 2009

I'm still here (maybe not still sane, but here!)

The title of this post says it all. I know it has been way too long since my last post, but just picture this scene: First, there's the husband/Daddy trying to finish one job and start another one; then there's the very busy almost-two-year old who isn't still for a single second during the day; and, there's a cranky, although cute, little Miss Priss two-month-old who has now decided that sleep is WAY overrated and therefore naps should be limited to absolutely no more than 5 minutes at a time; and of course, finally, there's the frazzled, stressed, worrying Mommy who feels like she cannot keep up with all of this. Or actually, any of this. Yes, be glad you are not us right now. I'm sure if there were a video of our day to day lives at this time, it would look like a train wreck. But, we're still going. And most days, we're still laughing. Mostly laughing at ourselves, but that's okay. There is still joy in all of the chaos, and that's a good thing.

Really, I have sat down to write a new post many times since the last one, and have gotten interrupted every single time. When I saw my aunt Jena last week, Camille was sucking on my pinky finger because as you know, she won't take a paci, but LOVES sucking on Mama's pinky, just like her big brother did when he was her age. Must be genetic, or something. I am now the Internet expert on genetics, you know. Anyway, Jena said that now she knows that when I have not been blogging, it's probably because I am sitting around with my finger in Camille's mouth. That's about right. So you can picture that when you haven't heard from me in a while. Well, it'd probably be a little more accurate to picture me with my finger in Camille's mouth while chasing around Henry, trying to cook dinner (yeah, I'm trying to cook more now too. Stupid, stupid woman!), and trying to make sure our dog isn't doing anything she shouldn't be doing. Did I mention that I have a naughty dog too?

All that to say, we really are doing okay. As far as an update on Camille, it doesn't seem like the new formula (the very broken down protein-based one) is helping too much with the colic/reflux. And, worse than that, it has appeared to really slow down her weight gain. She has only gained about 5 ounces in the past 14 days. Not good. And so, we are going back into the doctor on Tuesday to see what the new game plan is. I know he'll be so happy to see us. After all, it has been a whole 2 weeks.

*******************************************

On a positive, fun note, Henry has been doing great! He was not feeling good about a week ago--he was really pale, had a low-grade fever, and was just not acting like himself--you know, he was actually sitting still for more than 5 seconds at a time. I was convinced he had some horrible disease, but he is feeling much better now, and is completely back to his old self! He has really gotten to be so much fun these past few months. He is such a chatterbox, and you never know what is going to come out of his mouth! He amazes me everyday at what he says and knows. He has started talking in full sentences, and loves to give you a running commentary on everything he is doing. "I'm going to build a tower, Mommy. I want to talk to Nani, Mommy. I'm going to read a book, Mommy. I peed in the water, Mommy." :) Funny Henry story that I just have to share: our toilet flooded our guest bathroom last week (yes, the Whitts do have incredibly bad luck, and yes we are completely aware of it, and no we do not know what we did to cause it). I had to call the plumber because we couldn't figure out what the problem was. Before the plumber came out, I told Henry that there was someone coming to fix the potty. Later, when the plumber had gotten there, Henry started saying, "Gentleman here to fix the potty?" At first, I could not figure out what in the heck he was saying. Then I realized he was saying "gentleman", but then I couldn't figure out where in the heck he had gotten that. We don't really use that word in our family--we are so not that polite, I guess--but he was saying "gentleman" plain as day. The plumber got a big kick out of that! Since then, he has told everyone that the "gentleman" came out to fix the potty. I'm still trying to figure out how my little "gentleman" came up with that!

*******************************************

I know that on my last post, I promised that I would tell all of my good NICU stories. And for some reason, I just can't. I don't know what the deal is. I guess I just sometimes don't even want to think about the NICU. I want to pretend that it all just didn't happen. Jason called the NICU "a little slice of hell on earth", and it truly was. While we were there, we saw a few people come back with their babies who had been in the NICU to visit the doctors and nurses who had cared for them. I would look at those people and swear that would never be us--once we left the NICU, we were never coming back. It's not that we weren't grateful for the care that Camille got there. It's just that I have never been in a more stressful, nerve-wracking, negative place in my life. Someday I will do a post on the stories. I want to tell Camille's full story, and that unfortunately includes the NICU. But for now, I still shudder way too much when I think about it.

******************************************

I promise to not go so long in between posts again, if I can help it. Now if you'll buy that, I've got some ocean front property in Waco, Texas and a two-month-old who never cries and sleeps wonderfully.

Oh wait.

3 comments:

  1. I loved reading this post Maggie, and I miss you a bunch! You're in my prayers, and I'll add a prayer that laughter and joy will remain staples for your family, even in the middle of stress and anxiety. Give Jason a hug, and give those cute kids a kiss from us! k&n

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Maggie: Olin had bad colic and reflux, too. We used something called Gripewater...the brand name is "Little Tummies Gripewater." Nothing else really worked that well. It is about $8 at the grocery store, you could probably find it at the HEB in Hewitt. The baby Zantac never really made that much of a difference. Olin also spent hours on the dryer, but like you, I try not to think about those first weeks and the colic too much.

    We miss you guys. We wish we could be there to hold little Camille and chase Henry for you.

    Amber Inscore Essick

    ReplyDelete
  3. how was sweet Camille/s appointment today? Sure do want to meet your sweet jellybean. Love to all. Judy b.

    ReplyDelete