Tuesday, August 4, 2009

So far, so good

Camille had her 2 Month Check-Up today. She is technically only 1 month, and so everything was adjusted for that, but we will stay on the typical 2 month, 4 month, 6 month, etc. check-up schedule. The two best pieces of news first: she is now 6 pounds exactly (which means she gained 17 ounces since our last weight check 17 days ago), and her head has grown!

Funny thing (or not so funny, depending how you look at it) about the head measurement (I choose to find it funny because I have found that if I am going to make it through all of this, I am going to have to laugh...A LOT!). The nurse took Camille's measurements, and she thought her head had grown 3 centimeters in the past month. I was so excited about that! I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but it is! So, our pediatrician walks in, and asks about her weight. I told him about her hitting the 6 pound mark, and then I told him about her head too, obviously very excited. He gave me this really doubtful look, and said that he didn't think it could have grown that much in that amount of time. I wanted to say to him, "Look, buddy. I know you are a doctor and all, but let me tell you something. I have done more research on head circumference than anyone on the planet. I am an expert on the subject. In fact, I could probably write a book on it. I would even bet you that I could draw the head circumference growth chart curves for you right now with my eyes closed. YES IT CAN GROW THAT MUCH, AND IT DID!" But instead I said, trying not to grit my teeth, "At our discharge from the NICU, they said it could grow up to a centimeter and a half a week." He then said that yes it could, but he didn't think hers did, and that he would re-measure. I swear if he had reached out and given me a sympathetic pat on the arm right then, I would have decked him. So he remeasured, pulling that stupid measurement thing so tight across Camille's head that I seriously thought he would leave a red mark. And sure enough, he said, "Oh no, see I'm getting that it grew more like 2 centimeters." Really? Couldn't you have just let me think 3 instead of 2? Geez.

But, regardless, he was pleased with the 2 centimeters growth because she grew right on her curve, right at the normal rate of growth. Apparently (and this was all explained to us again today), although it is concerning that Camille's head was small, if it grows on her growth curve, then there is a great chance that she will be fine. A much better predictor of how she will do is "growth along a curve" rather than her head size at birth. That is what everyone across the board has said. If her head stops growing, or drops off the growth curve, then that is concerning. So... so far, so good. Our pediatrician reiterated again today that if her head continues to grow on track like this, then she could be, in his words, "Just as smart as can be." We just have to wait and see if that happens. He said, too, that her muscle tone looked great; she was putting on weight right on track now; and she was doing everything that a 1 month old should be doing. All very good signs. Again, so far, so good.


Other things that happened at the visit (hey, you asked for updates! Hope this doesn't bore you to tears!):

-We changed her formula to a special "colic" formula that is already majorly broken down so that her stomach has less to do and will empty out quicker. He said that all babies struggle somewhat with their immature digestive systems, but that premature and low birthweight babies often do even more. He also said that since she struggled with gas/colic and reflux both, then this should help both of those, since it is easier to digest (for the gas/colic), and empties out of the stomach quicker (so there is less to reflux back up). We are still mixing it 24 calorie, instead of the regular 20 calorie.

-He was concerned about her skin being pale, and therefore, that she was still anemic. She was severely anemic in the NICU, and they had thought they were going to have to do a blood transfusion, which is not uncommon in really preemie babies, but is uncommon in babies born at Camille's age. Basically, even though she was premature, she should not have been that anemic. Our pedi is going to check her blood counts at our next appointment to see how she is doing there. In the meantime, I will try and not google what disastrous things it could mean if she is in fact still anemic.

-She had her first shots today. And I say first because they really were her first. Another botch on the NICU's part. For some reason, they "forgot" to give Camille her shots that all newborns have before leaving the hospital. And that reminds me that I was going to tell all of my fun NICU stories on a post, and forgot. So, I will do that on my next post. Again, hopefully it won't bore you to tears, but I don't think it will. It was like a bad soap opera in a lot of ways. Or a bad Lifetime movie. That's probably a better descriptor.

So, we went home feeling pretty positive. You just can't beat growth in all areas.

So far, so good. I'll just keep repeating that to myself.

4 comments:

  1. That is all such good news. Sounds as if she is doing well and we are so glad. We love you all. Judy B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for Camille! So glad things are going well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FABULOUS!!!!! Love hearing the good news on sweet baby girl! Hugs and lots Love!!! becca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear this good report! Still praying for you all! kathy & nathan

    ReplyDelete